top of page
  • Do i need an EPC?
    Existing buildings need an EPC when they are to be sold or rented out. A building offered for sale or rent, must include the energy performance indicator of the building as shown on the EPC, for example C, in any advertisements in the commercial media1 . There is no requirement to display the full EPC.
  • How long is an EPC valid for?
    An EPC is valid for 10 years or until a newer EPC is produced for the same building no matter how many times the property is sold or rented out during that period. Existing occupiers and tenants will not require an EPC unless they sell, assign or sublet their interest in a building.
  • What is involved in an energy performance survey?
    For existing buildings, the energy assessor must undertake a physical survey of the building to gather the appropriate information. For new buildings, the energy assessor will have accurate plans, specifications and other relevant information and a site visit is not required. During the visit the energy assessor will need to access all the rooms, the boiler and the loft (if there is safe access). The assessor may take photographs of items, such as heaters and meters, and may take photographs of any unusual features in the building. The energy assessor may also photograph any area that cannot be accessed or visually inspected (for example, a fully boarded loft). A visual inspection may not be possible for all features (for example, cavity wall or under floor insulation) and without supporting information and evidence, such as receipts, the energy assessor will not be able to include that feature in the EPC. If access to inspect parts of the building is not possible, (for example, safe access to the loft to determine if it has been insulated), an assumption will be made about those features based on the age of the building. Energy assessors are not required to take unnecessary risks when undertaking an energy assessment.
  • What do i need to provide to the assesor?
    The assesor will need access to all rooms of the property including all parts of the building where there are heating elements such as boilers water tanks pumps etc. Any aspect of the property which is not physically visible to the assesor will not be recorded on the assesment unless documentation for new glazing, insulation should be made available.
bottom of page